Your School Counselors
Your school counselor or school social worker is a member of the educational team at your student’s school and works toward the goals of Southern Hancock Schools. Just like your student’s teacher, we align with the multi-tiered multi-domain systems of support (MTMDSS) to help students improve academics, attendance and behavior and support their school’s academic and college and career readiness goals.
What does a school counselor do?
- Is a Visible, Proactive, Positive, Support for ALL Staff and Students
- Teaches classroom guidance lessons
- Promotes a positive and safe school climate
- Conducts small group counseling sessions
- Consults with parents and families regarding concerns
- Provides information on community resources for families.
- Consults with teachers
- Counsels individual students in brief sessions to facilitate the transition from home to school, to build positive attitudes, self-understanding and self-reliance.
- Provides support during a personal crisis
Why Contact the Counselor?
- Academic Achievement Concerns
- Family Transitions (e.g., divorce, death, re-marriage, new sibling,)
- Behavioral & Emotional Concerns
- Home Stressors
- Peer Relations
- Assistance in transitioning to a new school.
SCE Social Worker:
Ms. Abbie Doyle
(317) 861-6747 x7015