Last Updated: 2/28/2020 5:34 PM

Your School Counselors

Your school counselor or school social worker is a member of the educational team at your student’s school and works toward the goals of Southern Hancock Schools. Just like your student’s teacher, we align with the multi-tiered multi-domain systems of support (MTMDSS) to help students improve academics, attendance and behavior and support their school’s academic and college and career readiness goals.

What does a school counselor do? 

  • Is a Visible, Proactive, Positive, Support for ALL Staff and Students 
  • Teaches classroom guidance lessons
  • Promotes a positive and safe school climate
  • Conducts small group counseling sessions 
  • Consults with parents and families regarding concerns
  • Provides information on community resources for families.
  • Consults with teachers
  • Counsels individual students in brief sessions to facilitate the transition from home to school, to build positive attitudes, self-understanding and self-reliance. 
  • Provides support during a personal crisis

Why Contact the Counselor?

  • Academic Achievement Concerns 
  • Family Transitions (e.g., divorce, death, re-marriage, new sibling,)
  • Behavioral & Emotional Concerns
  • Home Stressors
  • Peer Relations
  • Assistance in transitioning to a new school.

NPI Counselor:

Kacey DeLion 

Ms. Kasey DeLion
 317-861-3267 x4015


Hello students and families!

I am so excited to be the school counselor at New Palestine Intermediate. I love being able to get to know families and students and I'm happy I have the opportunity to build these relationships.

I want to be the advocate for the students here at NPI. I am here to help bridge the gap between home and school to create the best learning environment for the students.

I talk to the students about having a growth mindset and the power of "yet". It's okay to fail because we learn and grow from those mistakes.

Please let me know if you have any concerns about your student. We can schedule an appointment, discuss concerns via phone or email, or you can complete a “Request to See Counselor” form on the NPI website. Just click the link on the right side of this page.  

I look forward to hearing from you!
-Mrs. DeLion